Back to Alex's food page
|4 ||Egg whites|
|1 1/4 cups ||Sugar|
|1 tsp. ||Vanilla extract|
|1 tsp. ||Lemon juice|
|2 tsp. ||Corn starch|
- Pre-heat oven to 300°F
- Line two jelly roll pans (or cookie sheets) with Silpats or parchment
- In a copper bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but still wet looking
- Add sugar, beating after each tablespoon
- Beat until thick and shiny
- Fold in vanilla, lemon, and corn starch
- Spoon equal amounts into a 4x3 grid on each baking pan for a total of 24.
Try to leave depressions in the centers
- Bake for 1 hour, turning off heat after 30 minutes.
If needed, rotate pans a few times during the first 30 minutes
- Let cool
The traditional way to serve pavlova is with whipped cream and berries
or fruit on top.
To make one large pavlova, spoon everything into a single 9-inch
diameter mound in the middle. Make the top flat, with the sides higher.
Keep the heat on for the full hour.